Aaron Stites Sram XX1 review



Local cyclist Aaron Stites review on his Sram xx1 drivetrain

XX1 500 Mile Review
I built up my Giant Anthem 27.5 with full sram XX1 in November of this year. Since then I’ve put on over 500 miles on the groupo riding in all weather conditions and all trail conditions. I built it up with the XX1 rear derailleur, XX1 cassette, XX1 175 crank with 36 tooth front chain ring and then the XX1 grip shift. I have ridden XTR 2 x 9, sram XX 2 x 9, and self made 1 x 9 setups and can say that the XX1 has not disappointed. The highlights of the XX1 group are the reliability, lightness, and how responsive it has been. I opted for the grip shift because a thumb injury and it has been buttery smooth. I like that I can shift several gears in one simple twist. One of the concerns I had was the front chain dropping, yet in all the rides I’ve done in dust, snow, rain, mud, and tumble weeds I haven’t dropped the chain once. The XX1 rear derailleur also has a clutch feature to minimize chain slap but I haven’t needed to use it yet.


With the 10-42 gearing on the rear cassette I’ve been happy with the gear ratios. I’m running a 36 tooth front chain ring which has worked well, but on long very steep climbs it can be a little big. Most riders I’ve talked with go with a 32 or 34 for long climbs. The great thing with the XX1 crank is that with 4 simple bolts you can change the chain ring out without needing to take off the crank. The bolts thread right into the chain ring so you don’t have to worry about the 2 piece bolt setup


Ride quality: It has been a lot of fun to ride. I don’t have to think about a front derailleur, I just twist and go. In rough terrain I don’t have to worry about chain drop or miss-shifts. It has worked seamless thus far. They even put scuff guards on the crank arms and race face makes impact guards that go over the end on the crank arms to help protect against rock dings. I haven’t missed the second chain ring and don’t see going back to the double setup anytime soon.
 






Comments